Monday, May 17, 2010

He's There - He Hasn't Left His Sovereign Throne

This week's chapter is all about the sovereignty of God. I loved this chapter - I love that God is in control of my life, my husband's, my children's, my country, my everything. He is not unaware, uninvolved or uncaring about the events in my life. When everything seems chaotic and out of control, I stop and know that my God who loves me enough to send His son to suffer and die for me, is in absolute control. Everything that comes into my life and yours is "filtered through His fingers of love."

I know that for some this is hard to accept or comprehend. Just as Habakkuk could not understand God's ways - many times we also do not understand. You may question, "If God is in control of all things and He loves me then why did He let this happen?" Habakkuk had similar questions. When he focused on the God he knew intimately and His character He was able to rejoice in the God of his salvation. Why? Because the circumstances of his life did not define his relationship with God. Security and hope were not based on the temporal blessings in this life but on the Lord Himself. The Lord Himself is what gives us the reason for rejoicing.

My daughter Melissa would often write notes to herself. I found this one shortly after she died. It was the counsel to herself as she faced cancer - it became the counsel to me as I faced her death.


God is in the heavens and does what He pleases. He is working the best for me eternally. It's not always comfortable or convenient.

You can't fully understand one another's pain unless you have gone throught it. May sorrow but have hope. You can comfort because you've been there and gone through it.

You must understand basic principles so when you don't understand things going on you fall back on what you know of the Lord.

Commit your soul as unto Him your Creator.

Know the Lord has eternal purposes and plans.

Never give up what you know for what you don't!

"My ways are not your ways. My ways are beyond your finding out."

The Lord doesn't owe me any explanations. Can clay say to the potter why have you made me such. Or complain the process hurts?

God wants to bring the greatest value out of your life.

Be wholly, completely open to what God wants you to do. Don't give God limited options.

God knows and understands what you are going through.

Praise the Lord our God who knows and loves us is taking care of us, clothing, feeding and taking care of us.

Melissa - seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added to you. Seek first is priority #1. What God has called you to do is the Kingdom and the other things are things. Trust God, Seek God, Devote yourself to God. Seek first His Kingdom. You'll be mindful of Heaven and that will be your treasure.

Eternity is where the focus should be. Everything else is things. Set your mind on things above. Think about sitting in the presence of the Lord forever and all other trials and worries seem to be nothing.

I carry this note in my Bible and read it often. It keeps my vision clear. Not only did God have eternal purposes and plans for Melissa's short life, He also has eternal purposes and plans for my life and yours. The tragedies in our life are a big part in that plan. Eternity is where the focus should be - God is working the best for you eternally! Amen!


"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 (NASB)

No comments: